Holiday lets

If you want to let out a property as a holiday home for short periods of time, you need to make sure the arrangement is recorded in a holiday letting agreement.

Get started

Create your Holiday letting agreement

Answer a few questions. We'll take care of the rest

What is a holiday letting agreement?

This is a short term agreement between you and paying guests at your property, setting out the terms of the letting and the amount of rent you will charge.

Why use a formal agreement?

If you want to rent out a property to paying guests you must make sure you and your possessions at the property are protected.

If things get broken or the holidaymakers refuse to leave the property you need to make sure you can take action quickly and get the result you want with little time and expense.

It is important to set out in the agreement what you expect from the guests whilst they are in the property and what is included in the rental.

Always use an inventory to list all of the items in and at the property so that both you and the guest know what is there. Any breakages can be deducted from the deposit taken at the start of the letting.

Can I use any agreement?

Letting out a property is an important decision and depending on the type of letting you must use the correct document.

The main terms in a holiday letting agreement make sure that the guests do not get any right to stay in the property past the agreed time.

A holiday letting agreement makes it clear to your guests that they are only able to stay at the property for holiday purposes and that no tenancy is created. Other types of agreement do not have this wording.

Unlike other types of letting agreements, a deposit taken for a holiday let is not subject to the same rules and does not need to be placed in a tenancy deposit scheme account.

Holidaymakers can stay in the property until you ask them to leave or for as long as their agreement says. They should be given reasonable notice to leave.

If you have a written agreement with the guest, it should say how much notice they should be given.

As the holidaymaker is what is called an "excluded occupier", they must leave the property at the end of the term. If they refuse, you can seek possession without getting a court order.

Get started

Create your Holiday letting agreement

Answer a few questions. We'll take care of the rest