What happens after you register your company

Once your company registration is complete, there are a few things to consider. You will receive a certificate of incorporation, a memorandum of association and articles of association. Read this quick guide for a full explanation of what these mean and other requirements.

Get started

Register your company

Answer a few questions. We'll take care of the rest

What will I receive on registration?

Once your company is registered at Companies House we will send you:

  • A Certificate of Incorporation

  • Your Memorandum of Association

  • Your Articles of Association

What is a Certificate of Incorporation?

The Certificate of Incorporation is evidence that all the requirements of the Companies Act 2006 for registration of a company have been complied with and the company is registered.

The certificate confirms that the company legally exists and states:

  • the company name

  • the company registration number

  • the date of formation

  • the type of company, eg Limited

  • the company’s country of registration, eg England and Wales

  • the issuing Registrar, eg Cardiff for companies registered in England and Wales

The certificate will bear the official seal of the Registrar of Companies at Companies House.

What is the Memorandum of Association?

A Memorandum of Association is a statement signed by all initial company shareholders (also knowns as subscribers) confirming their intention to form a company and become members of that company upon formation, and also provides evidence of the members agreement to take at least one share each in the company. Rocket Lawyer’s Company Formation will create this for you.

What are the Articles of Association?

The Articles of Association are a company’s internal rulebook, which set out how the business will be run and decisions made. So long as the articles contain nothing illegal, a company is free to choose which rules are included. If you choose to incorporate using Rocket Lawyer’s Company Formation your company will adopt the model articles which are suitable for most standard companies.

If you wish you can incorporate with bespoke articles or model articles with amendments Ask a lawyer for advice on this. It also possible to make amendments to your company’s articles once incorporated (but you must notify Companies House).

Do I need to issue share certificates?

After registration your company must within two months issue each shareholder with a share certificate.

A share certificate is evidence of each shareholder’s title to their shares. Shareholders can use their certificate as evidence if their name is deleted from the company's internal register of members.

What is a Register of Members? 

A company’s Register of members lists all the shareholders (members) of the company. Every company must keep a register of its members. This should be kept at its registered office and should be kept up to date. For a small private company, a bound or loose leaf book can be used.

Other records and company filing responsibilities

As a newly registered company you also need to create the following records and make them available for inspection at your registered office:

  • register of directors

  • record of any directors' service contracts

  • register of secretaries

  • records of resolutions and minutes of general meetings

The company has on-going reporting and filing responsibilities in each financial year. For more information, read Filing your annual return, Preparing your annual accounts and tax return and Other filings at Companies House. The company must register for VAT if it expects turnover to be more than the current threshold. Furthermore, directors must send in a self-assessment tax return each year and pay tax and National Insurance through the PAYE system if the company pays them a salary.

Get started

Register your company

Answer a few questions. We'll take care of the rest